Silverfish vs Firebrat
Silverfish and Firebrats can be differentiated by several key characteristics.
- Silverfish: Tapered abdomen that gives them a fish-like appearance.
- Firebrat: Similar tapered abdomen, but may look more bristly or hairy.
- Silverfish: Typically 12-19 mm in length.
- Firebrat: Usually slightly larger, around 19-25 mm in length.
- Silverfish: Generally silvery or metallic gray.
- Firebrat: Mottled grayish-brown, often with darker markings.
- Silverfish: Prefer damp, cool places like basements, laundry rooms, and bathrooms.
- Firebrat: Thrive in warmer environments, often found near ovens, boilers, and insulation.
- Silverfish: Can live up to 8 years, with females laying fewer than 100 eggs in their lifetime.
- Firebrat: May have a shorter lifespan but are more prolific breeders
- Silverfish: Nocturnal and secretive, they are known to damage paper and clothing.
- Firebrat: Also nocturnal and tend to move quickly when disturbed.